Friday, December 28, 2007

Light Dispells Darkness

John wrote, "...God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all...If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin." (1 John 1:5,7)

Light dispells darkness. Darkness seeks to distort and destroy. Light brings exposure and healing. Light brings life. In CBS (Community Bible Study) I have been studying through the book of Revelation. More than anything I am learning that God is Sovereign.

Sovereign. That word rings through my mind and takes me back to the first Sunday school class that Brad and I were involved in. Phil, our teacher, asked something to the effect..."What are some of God's characteristics?" "Sovereign." I don't remember anyone else's answer but that one. Over the years I have come to know God as many things: Faithful, True, Trustworthy, Powerful, Gracious, Merciful, but His Sovereignty had not captured me as it has until this study of the end of the ages.

The kids have a CD of Scripture put to music. One of the songs is a Psalm...I cannot remember at the moment which one...watch me though...by the end of this post I will have had to pause and take a detour to find out exactly where it is...can't help it...that's just the way God made me. (My Mom calls it the "need to know.")
Anyhoo...It goes something like this..."The eyes of the Lord are in everyplace keeping watch on the evil and the good." When I first heard it I was like "What???" What does it mean that the Lord is keeping watch over the evil and the good? Sovereignty. That's what it means. He is sovereign over all things. Yes, even the bad things. Ever read Job? Or what about Joseph's statement in Genesis 50:20, "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good..." God dispells darkness with His light and uses even the darkness for His ultimate purposes.

Revelation 12...battle for power...good versus evil...light versus darkness...and the darkness was not strong enough and was hurled down. Thought provoking questions really get me going. Several struck me today in this study of Revelation 12:1-9 right where and when I needed them. Who is the dragon in chapter 12? What was his agenda? Why? What is his agenda in heaven? On earth? All answers can be found in this one chapter as well as many other places in Scripture. It wasn't anything I hadn't studied before. It was the timing - the appropriateness - the Holy Reminder of Truth.

The next set of questions turned to the Provision made for us. HOw has God provided for ur defense in our battle agaisnt satan? Oft times I "feel" unguarded, exposed, weak and vulnerable, yet Scripture assures me that I am secure in Christ. My study turned to a couple of passages in John 15-17 - excellent stuff! Liberating stuff! We have been left the Holy Spirit to teach us and remind us of the TRUTH. His Word is Truth and Jesus has prayed that we will be santified by this Word, this Truth, Himself. He alone is our protection. This last question packed the punch and brought all the madness to an end. What role does consistent Bible study play in this battle - spiritual warfare? My answer...chuckling to myself at God's goodness and timing I wrote...How appropriate that I read and study this today. Yesterday was one of the worst days in a long-long time. I have neglected God's word and fell victim to the enemies lies.

God in His goodness used whatever means necessary to bring my focus back towards Him. Was it part of His plan that I fall apart and loose all senses and self control and behave like a raving lunatic? Doubt it, but did He use it to accomplish His purposes? You bet! He is so good it confounds me.

LIGHT DISPELLS DARKNESS. I remember the words D Sunda spoke so authoritativly to me..."Jami, you have not been left orphaned...you are not an orphan...Jesus promised to never leave you...He is with you...you have not been left alone." WHAAAAAH~ That's my little victory chant...I think of Napolean Dynomite when he is tasting the milk at some 4-H challenge thingy....He guesses right and responds confidently..."Yesssssssss."

God shines His light and the darkness evaporates.

BTW...it wasn't a Psalm...remember...the song I was writing you about...the kids song...back up in the 4th paragraph...it is Proverbs 15:3.
You may also be wondering...whatever happened with Brad? I can't figure out how to say I am sorry. Sorry is one of those words that we way over-use. Yes, I am sorry, but at the same time the emotions that fueled the fire are still floating around inside. Sorry doesn't seem to bring resolution or finality or closure. Sorry acknowledges wrong-doing and can, with the right attitude of heart, usher in humility and brokeness, but usually sorry at our house brings an end to discussion without any conclusions drawn. (I am laughing to myself as a scene from Seinfled replays in my mind..."No soup for you...NEXT!") (I see all you closet Seinfeld re-run watchers reading this...your laughing, too!) How easily I digress - God is gracious to give a little comic relief!

So, yes, I am sorry, but for the moment I can't seem to find the words or actions to express that sorrow. The Holy Reminder comes and whipsers to me..."If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another..." Fellowship...if I am walking in His light then my actions will lead to restoration of fellowship between Brad and I. Back to beginnings is next...I know I've been promising it for a couple of days...but this time I'm for real...really...

No comments: