Friday, September 26, 2008

Sports and Other Stuff Pertaining to the Shoe

Fall...I love the slight changing of the seasons that we experience here in the South - cool breezes and crisp, clear days. I am hearing the roar of a crowd and the beats of the marching band at a Friday night football game in my mind - the aroma of corndogs and freshly popped popcorn meandoring through the bleachers. Ahhhh fall! Fall and spring are my favorite seasons of the year. They both bring change; necessary change...good change...Have you ever considered how mundane the experience of life would be without some sort of change? Something to ponder...


Several of my kids, like many of yours, are taking a bite out of sports this fall. Riley has been raring to play soccer since last fall. Might I say...HE LOVES IT!!!!!

El numero tres

Tryin' to get in on the action!

James loves football. Last year he really wanted to play, but I just wasn't quite ready for all that. This is the year...He's already talking NFL...

For real...he's pretty good. Kicking is his thing. They don't kick in Little League, but he practices every day. He gets it in between the posts of the trampoline net from a good distance at a good height. Hey...this Mom says he's one awesome kicker!


Syndey is taking a tumble...power tumbling with Opelika Parks and Rec. She has the build and energy and determination of a gymnast. "Look Mama...look mama...watch me do a cartwheel...a handstand...was that good...when you were a little girl did you do cartwheels?"

She is into asking lots of questions about when I was a little girl. Just this morning - "Mama, when you were a little girl did you ever get cold in the morning a wear covers to the table?" "When you were a little girl did your Mama tell you stories?" "When you were a little girl did you like Hannah Montana?" "When you were a little girl did you like to wear make-up?"

Madelyn never asked those kinds of questions - so this is throwing me off a little bit. I chuckle inside at a lot of the questions she poses, but deep down I know she is searching to be identified with her Mama. When I ponder that I am terrified, awestruck, and humbled. Terrified of failing, awestruck at the power I hold in my hands, and humbled at her admiration of me and love for me. "Mama's, (I am speaking to all of us here - most of us already know this, but...) we, along with the Daddo's, hold the power in our "hands" to build up our children or unknowingly tear them down." Whoa...whoa...whoa. That's deep. That's awesome. That's one of the reasons why we need to know and rely on the love of Christ that dwells within us. Praise Him for He enables and equips us! Everyday - everyday, like you, I am reminded just how inadequate I am. Yet, my Faithful Friend is always here cheering me on..."I am all you need. Stick to me and I will show Myself adequate through you."


This little-bit is trying to sit up. She sticks it for about five seconds...then she takes a nose-dive, rolls over, and tries her hand at crawling. Yesterday, she rocked back and forth several times then actually took 2 "crawls." (What do you call that...in my mind I am saying steps...but I know that ain't rite...?) Anyhoo - ofcourse I didn't catch it on film. Carrie...you go girl! Before long she'll be giving Bo a run for his money.


Madelyn and a friend of hers are baby-sitting for us on Wednesday nights so we can go to a small group. The kids love it!...we love it!


Homeschooling...ahh...the joys of homeschooling! :)


This by far has been one of the most demanding, die-to-yourself, rewarding experiences I have encountered. Each morning the question is posed, "Are you going to have your way and hang on to what you want, or are you going to let Me have My way?"
Some days I hang on to what I want...nobody likes those days too much. ...Then some days I give it up and over...those days are fantastic - like a breath of fresh air.


Today has been one of those days; schedule straight out the window. James wanted to go with Dad to work today. The "teacher" in me said, "No way!" The Mom in me said, "By all means - take him and teach something good - we can "do" school tomorrow (Saturday)!" God said, "Let him go, I've got something different for you all today." Sydney was working on some of her "seat-work," and I was working on this post when the phone rings...on the other end was a friend. "God told me to come pray for you today. What is your schedule like?" (Isn't God neat?!He knows...He knows everything...He had already cleared my calendar for the morning...) (I am so glad He has (painfully and slowly)loosened my grip on my life - my schedule - my time - my agenda.) What's even better - she came to pray over something that I had spent yesterday afternoon crying out to Him about. AWESOME GOD!!! If we ask He will answer. If we seek He will show us. If we knock He will open the door. Man, that's powerful stuff! GOD, YOU ARE GREAT AND MIGHTY AND POWERFUL AND ABLE AND STRONG AND LOVING AND KIND AND GOOD AND ALL I NEED!
My time to blog ran out about 30 minutes ago...mild chaos is breaking out...Carrie is starting to cry...Sydney, Bo, and Sara Joy are scrambling around screaming, sqealing, and shrieking...aaahhhhhh the sounds of childhood play!!! So much more to share...not enough time. Catch you all later! Have an awesome weekend!

2 comments:

Thaddeus said...

Thanks for this wonderful, uplifting, and encouraging post!

-Thad

Leslie said...

Great post, Jami! You are an inspiration. :)
Leslie